We are proud to announce that Kubernetes native workers are now available. Our previous approach involved providing a helm chart designed to deploy worker pools within a Kubernetes environment, leveraging Docker in Docker.
Now, we have introduced a new Kubernetes operator to manage these worker pools efficiently. This operator facilitates the creation and management of Worker resources directly in your Kubernetes cluster based on the WorkerPool configuration. Moreover, it integrates seamlessly with standard Kubernetes mechanisms, allowing for the effortless scaling of these worker pools both upwards and downwards to satisfy the requirements.
In a nutshell, to use Kubernetes native workers:
- Generate a private key for your worker
- Install it via kubectl or helm
kubectl apply -f https://downloads.spacelift.io/kube-workerpool-controller/latest/manifests.yaml
helm repo add spacelift https://downloads.spacelift.io/helm
helm repo update
helm upgrade spacelift-workerpool-controller spacelift/spacelift-workerpool-controller --install --namespace spacelift-worker-controller-system --create-namespace
- Create a secret containing the private key and token generated in the first step.
- Create the worker pool.
Here are some of the reasons Kubernetes native workers should be considered for any product:
- Improved scaling – Automatically adjust worker nodes to handle varying loads, ensuring consistent performance.
- Resource efficiency – Maximize resource utilization and reduce costs by using resources efficiently.
- Isolation and security – Provide workload isolation in multi-tenant architectures, enhancing security and compliance.
- Portability and flexibility – Enjoy deployment flexibility and meet diverse client needs rapidly.
Stay tuned tomorrow for a deep dive into how Kubernetes native workers function and the motivation behind their introduction.
The Most Flexible CI/CD Automation Tool
Spacelift is an alternative to using homegrown solutions on top of a generic CI. It helps overcome common state management issues and adds several must-have capabilities for infrastructure management.